Best Linux Distro f...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Best Linux Distro for Multi-Monitor Setup with NVIDIA RTX 4000 Series?

RSS

Topic starter

I’m planning to set up a multi-monitor workstation with an NVIDIA RTX 4000 series GPU. Which Linux distro offers the best support for multi-monitor setups with this GPU? Any issues with screen tearing, driver compatibility, or configuration?

6 Answers

If you're planning to set up a multi-monitor workstation with an NVIDIA RTX 4000 series GPU, I would recommend using Pop!_OS. It’s optimized for NVIDIA hardware right out of the box and comes with the proprietary drivers pre-installed, which is a huge plus. The GNOME desktop environment works smoothly with multiple monitors, and Pop!_OS has specific tweaks that reduce screen tearing, especially when you enable ‘Force Full Composition Pipeline’ in the NVIDIA X Server Settings. Additionally, Pop!_OS offers a seamless experience with tiling windows and multi-monitor setups, making it an ideal choice for productivity. If you prefer another distro, Ubuntu or Fedora are also solid options, but you might need to put in a bit more effort to configure things correctly.

I would suggest using Pop!_OS if you’re planning a multi-monitor setup with an NVIDIA RTX 4000 series GPU. It’s based on Ubuntu but comes with built-in NVIDIA driver support. I didn’t face any major issues, and screen tearing was minimal after enabling ‘Force Full Composition Pipeline’ in the NVIDIA settings.

I have had decent success with Ubuntu when setting up multi-monitor workstations with NVIDIA GPUs. The drivers are easy to install, and the support is generally good. I did experience some screen tearing, but it was manageable with a few tweaks.

Fedora has worked well for me with an NVIDIA GPU in a multi-monitor setup. The Wayland session handles multiple monitors nicely, but you might run into some issues with the proprietary drivers. Screen tearing can be a problem, so you might need to experiment with different settings.

Manjaro is another good option, especially if you want a rolling release. The NVIDIA drivers are easy to install, and the community support is excellent. I’ve used it for a multi-monitor setup with an RTX 4000 series GPU, and it handled everything well. Just make sure to configure the NVIDIA settings properly to avoid screen tearing.

Topic starter

Thanks for all suggestions. I went ahead with Pop!_OS. It looks like a great distro!

Share: